Department of German Studies
The Department of German Studies offers degree programmes at all three levels – Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral.
We train future language experts to work in business (German for Specialist and Professional Communication – Bachelor’s degree), translators and interpreters (German for Translation – Master’s degree), broad-based experts in German language and culture (German Philology – Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees), and future secondary school teachers (German Philology with Focus on Education: German Language for Secondary School Teachers – Master’s degree). Graduates of Master’s degrees can take post-Master’s (PhDr.) examinations at the Department or study for a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in German language or literature.
The Department has long-established links with numerous universities abroad via the Erasmus+ programme; every year a large number of our students spend a semester at one of our partner universities.
The Department also offers lifelong learning courses.
International students can spend one or two semesters at the Department via the Erasmus+ programme; here you can choose from a wide range of courses.
Why study at the Department of German Studies?
- Our teachers are highly qualified professionals with extensive experience of teaching at universities abroad.
- Our team also includes several native speakers of German.
- Our visiting professors enable students to gain an insight into studies at our partner universities abroad.
- Every year as part of the Erasmus+ programme we offer around 40 study stays (1 semester) at universities abroad, including universities in Germany (Dresden, Erfurt, Jena, Würzburg, Koblenz, Zittau/Görlitz, Zwickau, Passau, Leipzig, Regensburg), Austria (Graz, Innsbruck), Finland (Jyväskylä), France (Bordeaux), Belgium (Gent), Italy (Salerno), Poland (Wrocław), Croatia (Zadar), Turkey (Sakarya) and Slovakia (Nitra, Banská Bystrica, Košice), as well as the opportunity to spend internships with companies abroad.
- Students of our translation degree programme regularly take part in workshops at the Centre for Translation Studies in Vienna.
- We have an excellent departmental library.
- We also offer funded stays abroad as part of the programmes run by the DAAD, ÖAD, Hermann-Niermann-Stiftung and other institutions.
- Every year we organize a student conference where our students can present the results of their research and gain valuable experience for their future professional careers.
- We organize regular cultural events including our “Stammtisch” student meetings, student theatre performances, authors’ readings, and Czech-German cultural festivals in Ostrava (Ostrau der Kulturpunkt), all of which ensure a rich and varied student life.
- We support close cooperation between students and international companies in the region (Siemens, OKIN etc.).
- We know from our graduates that they are excellently prepared to pursue careers in international companies, the travel/tourism industry, the media, and the translating/interpreting profession.
- Students can try how the job of journalists looks like and take part in the student journal ODRAZ.
Updated: 21. 03. 2019