About the Department
The Department of German Studies is one of the original departments at the Faculty of Arts, having existed since the establishment of the Faculty in 1991.
We aim to educate graduates to be well-prepared for their future professional careers as well as carrying out top-class research in German linguistics, didactics and literary theory. You can judge for yourselves how well we have achieved this aim by looking at the various sections our website and our Facebook page.
The staff of the Department includes professors, associate professors and assistant professors, and our doctoral students also play a key role in the life of the Department.
Why study at the Department of German Studies?
- We offer degrees at all levels of university studies: Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral degrees.
- Our teachers are highly qualified professionals with extensive experience of teaching at universities abroad.
- Our team also includes several native speakers of German.
- Our visiting professors enable students to gain an insight into studies at our partner universities abroad.
- We have an excellent departmental library.
- Every year as part of the Erasmus+ programme we offer around 40 study stays (1 semester) at universities abroad, including universities in Germany (Dresden, Erfurt, Jena, Würzburg, Koblenz, Zittau/Görlitz, Zwickau, Passau, Leipzig, Regensburg), Austria (Graz, Innsbruck), Finland (Jyväskylä), France (Bordeaux), Belgium (Gent), Italy (Salerno), Poland (Wrocław), Croatia (Zadar), Turkey (Sakarya) and Slovakia (Nitra, Banská Bystrica, Košice), as well as the opportunity to spend internships with companies abroad.
- We also offer funded stays abroad as part of the programmes run by the DAAD, ÖAD, Hermann-Niermann-Stiftung and other institutions.
- Every year we organize a student conference where our students can present the results of their research and gain valuable experience for their future professional careers.
- We organize regular cultural events including our “Stammtisch” student meetings, student theatre performances, authors’ readings, and Czech-German cultural festivals in Ostrava (Ostrau der Kulturpunkt), all of which ensure a rich and varied student life.
- We support close cooperation between students and international companies in the region (Siemens, Genpakt etc.).
- We know from our graduates that they are excellently prepared to pursue careers in international companies, the travel/tourism industry, the media, and the translating/interpreting profession.