UO > About > Organizational Structure > Faculties & Institutes > Faculty of Arts > Research > Projects & Grants
Projects & Grants
|Reflection of Language and Linguistic Issues in Non-Linguistic Texts|
|Main solver||doc. Mgr. Jaroslav David, Ph.D.|
|Periodr||1/2020 - 12/2021|
|Provider||Specifický VŠ výzkum|
|Anotation||The goal of the two-year project is to present the way non-linguistic texts (e.g., texts which are not written for the linguistic community and the authors of which who are not experts in linguistics) treat topics that are, at the same time, dealt within the domain of academic linguistics (e.g., opinion journalism, fiction, internet discussion forums). The project focuses on the following topics:
1) approaches to language correctness and the criteria for it in the perspective of non-linguists;
2) discussions about language purism, the concept of the good author, new rules of Czech orthography, and the decline of language;
3) reflection of the political discourse in the books by Czech authors (e.g., Karel Čapek, Karel Poláček, Václav Havel);
4) reflection of the language component of proper names ? approaches to creating feminine forms; approaches to given names; changes of geographical names and the argumentation employed, as illustrated with the example of the Czech post-war borderlands and the contemporary Těšín region and Slovakia; the issue of the Czechia name in the perspective of collocation analysis
5) assessment of quality of languages on the basis of the Czech national corpus opinion journalism (collocation analysis via association measures);
6) reflection of the language of a visited country, as illustrated with the Czech travelogues to China.
Do projektu budou zapojeni 3 akademici, 6 studentů NMgr. studia a 1 student dr. studia, z toho 3 studenti zahraniční.
The structure of the grant team: 3 university teachers (academicians), 6 students in the MA study programme, and 1 student in the PhD study programme. These include 3 foreign students.